Turku Sourdough

April 26, 2017


This bread reminded me why I love to develop bread recipes. I like the magic of the process, which sometimes gives me The Best Bread in the Whole Universe. This bread, which I lovingly named after my home town, is one of those moments.

2 breads

First day

5 dl (500 g) water
5 dl (300 g) rye flour
2 dl (200 g) sourdough starter
1 tbsp honey

Mix together all the ingredients. Cover with a tea towel and leave to sit at room temperature until you see lots of bubbles, it takes a day or two.


2 dl (1 cup US) wheat berries
water

Cover wheat berries with water and leave the bowl on a table overnight. If the pre-dough isn't ready the next day, put the berries in the refrigerator until you'll use them. 

Second or third day

pre-dough
soaked wheat berries (at room temperature)
5 dl (500 g) lukewarm buttermilk
1 tbsp salt
2 dl (1 cup US) sunflower seeds
3 tbsp honey
2 dl (120 g) graham flour
14 dl (750 g) rye flour

Stir the wheat berries, buttermilk, salt, sunflower seeds, honey and graham flour into the pre-dough. Gradually knead in the rye flour and keep kneading the dough about 10 minutes.

Cover and leave to rise at room temperature for 2 hours. Divide the sticky dough into two bread tins. Cover and leave to rise. 

Preheat the oven to 175°C and bake for 2 hours. Take the breads out of the tins and bake another 10 minutes. 

Let cool on a wire rack. When cooled, wrap the breads tightly and store in a cool place until the next day. Cut into thin slices and serve with butter.

Store in a cool place where Turku Sourdough will keep several days. Storing the bread in the freezer is a good solution too. 


You Might Also Like

4 kommenttia

  1. Vad använder ni istället för butter Milk?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Vatten, öl eller äpple juice passar bra.

      Delete
  2. Some one asked me couple of questions about Turku Sourdough, but I lost the message. I'm so sorry! Consequently, I cannot e-mail the answers, but I'll write them here. 1) The second rise (in the bread tins) takes at least 5 - 6 hours. The exact times depends on the circumstances.
    2) Yes, the baking time is about 2 hours.
    I hope this helped you.

    ReplyDelete